Monday, December 31, 2018

Happy New Year 2019

"I'll quite smokin', I'll quit eatin,' I'm not jokin', I'll quit cursin', I'll quit drinkin', I'll be a better person, but tonight I'm thinkin'..."
Kid Rock - Happy New Year

Well hell's bells that's a  whole lotta quitin' going on in Kid Rock's song so I left it blank on what I'm thinkin' 'cause that's what I want y'all to think about.

I'm sure we all make those "New Year's Resolutions" but seriously how many do you keep?  I'm reading over the ones Kid Rock wrote about and thankfully I don't have to worry about any of those except eatin'.  Of course we all want to be a better person and I'm no different, but I may have to think on this one  'cause I think I'm pretty awesome as is.

I haven't really thought about any New Year's Resolutions for this coming year 2019 but the one thing I've said a million times since Thanksgiving is that I HAVE to get back to eating right.  Lord have mercy I've eat enough to sink a battle ship if I jumped on board.  So with that being said, come January 2, yes that's not a typo I'm not starting my "diet" until after the New Year Day because my mama will be cooking all the New Year stuff and I plan to eat as much as I can.  Yep, we will have collards, black eye peas, cornbread, mashed potatoes and I'm sure more desserts than I need.

Writing this I'm thinking back on 2018 and for the most part it's been a good year.  It's also had it's sad times as I've lost several class mates and family members that left us way too soon.  Things are just that...things, and they can be replaced but friends and family is something that can't be replaced.  Not only do I think about the ones I lost in 2018 but I think about the ones I've lost in previous years.  I miss them all but every New Year I remember the last one I spent with my friend Andrew.

Many years since my divorce I spent New Year's Eve alone, but this particular year I asked my friend Andrew to go to a friends party with me.  Keep in mind he could have spent his night with many other friends, but he chose me.   You may ask why was this such a special person to spend it with, well hold on just a minute 'cause you know  I'm about to tell you.  LOL  You see, Andrew had cancer and he knew this might be his last New Year's Eve, so that's why it was even more special.  We had such a good time and he fit right in with all my friends that he didn't even know.   Not knowing many of the people didn't bother him because he always knew the right thing to do and say.  He was just that kind of person.  One that could make you feel like a million bucks by just smiling.  We laughed so hard at the crazy games we played, we ate 'til we couldn't eat any more and of course we welcomed in the New Year with a toast, a hug and knowing me I probably sneaked a kiss.

LESSON TODAY:  As it turned out, that New Year with Andrew was his last one and probably the last one I didn't spend alone.  That New Year's Eve will forever be etched in my mind and heart for more reasons than one, but most importantly because I got to spend it with with my special friend.  I'm thinking as I'm writing exactly what my lesson for y'all will be, so let's just go with y'all taking a minute and remember your favorite New Year's Eve.  Did you spend it with someone special?  Was it family?  friends?  Just close your eyes and remember what made it so special. Whatever that reason is, I want you to take that into the new year 2019.  Don't worry about making resolutions, that we probably won't keep past January, just go into the new year with a smile on your face and love in your heart.  Make this new year 2019 your best at whatever you do 'cause I'm thinking if you go into the New Year with a smile on your face and love in your heart you will be a much better person for it.



  HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
  Sweet Southern Sass











No comments:

Post a Comment