Thursday, September 28, 2017

You Got To Stand For Something


"Now daddy didn't like trouble, but if it came along everyone that knew him knew which side that he'd be on.  He never was a hero or this county's shinin' light but you could always find him standing up for what he thought was right."  Aaron Tippin

Ok let's get this controversial topic started.  Ya'll keep in mind this is strictly MY opinion and it's not the gospel, so don't go and get all offended.  BUT...if you do, just carry on and delete me because this blog is NOT meant to offend anyone but if it does then so be it.

This first sentence said my daddy didn't like trouble.  I'm not real sure how true that was when he was younger but he certainly doesn't like it now.  Any hint that one of us kids is doing something we shouldn't or arguing amongst ourselves, he's on it.  I mean he can shake that finger at me even now that I'm an adult and I still stand up and pay attention.  This crap going on with the NFL right now, I can promise you if me or my brothers "took a knee" on the basketball court, baseball field or football field during the national anthem,  my daddy would march right out there and jerk us right up.  We might even be standing to eat (as he used to say) because we would probably get our butts torn up when we got home.

"You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.  Never compromise what's right and uphold your family name.  Whatever you do today you'll have to sleep with tonight."  I've always been the type to stand for what I believe.  One particular incident goes back long time when I was in high school.  A good friend of mine was killed in a car accident.  His funeral service was in the afternoon and might run into our basketball practice.   Being late to practice wasn't an option and if we were late, we had to run laps.  Well alrighty then, you would think a funeral would justify being late but it didn't.  We were like 10 minutes late and for every minute we ran a lap.  Dang I was so mad, and I paid the price with those stinking laps, but I stood for something I thought was right.

I know things are different now than they were in my daddy's younger days but I still believe what makes a man hasn't changed.  I am opinionated to a fault but I try hard to do what's right because it's what I believe and not because someone thinks it's what I'm suppose to do.  I've always beat to my own drum and nothing has ever surprised my mama at what I do.   My daddy always said to us you better not start anything but you better not let anyone run over you either.  I've never started a fight, but I think these words is what made me the little fiesty thing that I am.  I will argue to the end if I think I'm right and I've lost a few friends along the way because I spoke my mind.  But, that's OK.  I wasn't trying to change anyone's mind, I just believed one thing, they believed another and I wanted them to see my point of view.  Either way, I stood for what I believed.

My lesson today?  I believe I will go with a quote from Queen Latifah.  "It's not always easy to do the right thing.  But, doing the right thing makes you strong, it builds character, it forces you to make decisions based upon your beliefs and not what other people think.  In life, and in business, you have to stand for what you believe in and sometimes you have to stand alone.  But, what makes you a leader is having the courage of your convictions."  So go ahead, stand for something you believe, even if you have to stand alone.


  Love to all,
  Sweet Southern Sass


No comments:

Post a Comment