Monday, August 7, 2017

You Find Out Who Your Friends Are


"You find out who your friends are.  Somebody's gonna drop everything, run out and crank up their car, hit the gas, get there fast.  Never stop to think "what's in it for me?" or "it's way too far."  They just show on up with that big old heart.  You find out who your friends are."   Tracy Lawrence

This thought came to mind after watching the movie Going In Style with Morgan Freeman.  Oh my gosh within five minutes I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt.   Lifelong buddies Willie, Joe and Albert play brittle old fogies who team up to rob a bank.  They were sick of sitting on the same bench in the same park every day, talking about the same things and feeding the same pigeons.  They wanted to feel young and alive once more and if they got caught, who cares?  They were probably  going to die soon anyway.

Joe comes up with the idea and convinces the other two they can do it.  Now this reminds me of someone I knew years ago who always said one of my friends at the time was why I stayed in trouble.  Well hell's bells, anyone that knows me knows I don't need anyone to "make" me do anything.  As a favorite song of mine says...Lead me not into temptation I already know the road all too well, lead me not into temptation I can find it all by myself.  I have to admit, most of the time, it was HER idea but rest her soul, she didn't have to twist my arm very hard.   I lost this friend several years ago but watching this movie made me think about her.  Not really sure why but probably because the shenanigans these three pulled reminded me of a few we did.  NO we didn't rob a bank but we probably thought about it a time or two when we were broke as Dick's hat band as they say.

The different personalities is what made this movie so funny to me.  Joe is the group's ringleader and reacts with a witty cold anger that is only heightened by age, Albert is the most hopeless until he gets caught up in a senior-citizen fairy tale romance with Annie  and Willie is the most mellow but only because he's in need of the kidney transplant.   These three scoundrels may have been different in every way but they had one thing in common and that was their friendship.  A friendship that would stand the tests of time and last forever.   A friendship that wouldn't stop short of anything to reunite them with their families and better their lives, even if it meant robbing a bank.  I'm pretty sure if I came up with an idea of robbing a bank my friends would seriously think I had FINALLY lost it.  I tell them all the time orange is NOT my favorite color and I like to turn the lights out when I want to so hopefully they will remember and put their foot down.  I do hope however if I need a kidney one of them wouldn't have to think about it but be right there saying.."Let's get this party started."

My lesson today?  Lord have mercy I might have to think a minute but let's go with the fact that nothing is impossible and you can better your life if you want to. Don't rob a bank, but motivate yourself to jump over any obstacle in your way and complete any task needed to live the best life you can.  Chase after your dreams, no matter how old you are.  And by all means, see this movie.  It might just make you laugh and we all can use a laugh now and then.


      LOVE TO ALL,
     Sweet Southern Sass


No comments:

Post a Comment