Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Precious Memories

"Precious memories how they linger.  How they ever flood my soul.  In the stillness of the midnight.  Precious sacred scenes unfold.  And old home scenes of my childhood in fond memory appear.  Precious memories fill my soul."  Alan Jackson

It's been a bit since I've posted anything. Not because I don't have anything to say but nothing came to mind that would make my friends smile and hopefully laugh out loud as they say.  Not to fear, it didn't last long, because today my facebook post said to name something that your mother/grandmother cooked that was your favorite. This set my mind in motion so here you go.

My first thought about something my grandmother cooked were her tea cakes.  Oh Lord have mercy, she could make some tea cakes.  Sometimes she put chocolate on them, but I like the plain ones.  I can see her now, standing in the kitchen with her apron on making them with so much love.  Yes I've tried to make them but unless you like the taste of flour, you don't want to eat the ones I make.

My Aunt said she liked her mama's cake with chocolate icing and strawberries.  Well, Lord help me, I forgot all about that cake.  But when I saw her post, I remembered it was my favorite cake.  My Aunt doesn't really know this, but Mama Highfield made that cake just for me.  She knew how much I loved it, and whether it was just for me or not, she made me feel like it was just for me.  Yes I've tried to make it but  but her chocolate icing was "real" icing made with Hershey's cocoa, not the kind out of a can.  Ya'll know that ain't worth a diddly squat compared to the real thing, but it's the best I could do.  My attempt at the "real" thing would never quite stay on the cake, then add the strawberries and it was like a landslide.  Chocolate and strawberries everywhere and the cake split in the middle.  I'm sure Mama Highfield's laughing at this, ME trying to be like her. We all know that ain't gonna happen, no way, no how.

This is not about MY grandmother, but a childhood friend posted her mama made the best biscuits ever.  Here we go again...something else I can't do.  My mama and my friends mama made them with a hole in the middle of the flour and never got outside it.  They just kept adding the flour around it until they got the dough big as they needed it to feed all of us.  Then my mama would lay it out on a flour sack cloth sprinkled with flour and cut them out.  All perfect!!!   This is where it gets good.  Another friend commented "Sherry, that's how I make mine."  Well crapola that did it.  She's my age and can make biscuits like my mama?  What happened to me?  Can't make tea cakes, can't make chocolate cake with strawberries and now someone says biscuits?

My lesson for today?  If your mama or grandmother tries to teach you how to cook...PAY ATTENTION!!!!  I watched many times, but as a kid growing up, I didn't think my grandmother would some day be gone and I would only have memories.  Luckily my mom is still here but do you really think she can teach me to make biscuits at my age?  I seriously doubt it.  Anyway, biscuits is one thing a "CAN" will do.  They even work with chicken and dumplings.  Of course my mama would beg to differ as she's making that little ball of dough in the middle of all that flour.



Love to all,
 precious memories may they ever flood your soul.
Sweet Southern Sass






No comments:

Post a Comment