Saturday, May 13, 2017

Mother Like Mine


 "She's the sky that holds the clouds.  She's the lady of the house.  Oh I've got the best and the worst of her in me."  The Band Perry

My mama, I don't even know where to start, so I will just jump right on in here and say it. She definitely is  the sky, the clouds and the lady of the house.  I like to think I have the best of her because in my eyes there is no worst of her.  She walks with authority but oh so gentle when one of us are in pain.  Maybe we should ask the boys what kinda authority that broom has.  LOL  She loves telling the stories about getting the broom after them when they were younger.  Now ya'll know she didn't hurt 'em, because she slapped the bristle part of it on their butts. But that's her story and she's sticking to it.  What I got to say about that is they probably needed it.  The little devils.  I bet they're still scared of that broom and I know for a fact if mama thought they needed it, she'd wear 'em out with it.  They might laugh about it if she did it now but they wouldn't talk back, and that's a fact I know to be true.

"I'd share her if I could, so the wars would be over, 'cause she'd raise us all as friends.  And no one would ever wonder if somebody wanted them."   Yep, another fine description of my mama.  She tells us all the time we better not be "fussing."  She tries to tell us that daddy don't like it, but it's really her that doesn't like it.  If you know my mama you know she wants everyone to get along and be friends.  She never meets a stranger so I guess that's where I get my people skills.  (HaHa)  Ya'll laughing now because you think I don't have any.  Well I do when I want ya'll to witness them.  My mama loves everybody and rarely do I hear her say anything about another person.  She has seven kids and she makes us all feel like we're her only one.  Well that's according to which one of us you ask.  We all know baby girl is the favorite.  Oh wait, that's daddy's favorite.  So I guess that makes me mama's favorite.  I mean, I am the oldest, so that should count for something.

"We all need her, but no one more than me."  I'm probably the only hell my mama ever raised according to some but she's always been there for me.   I've always been the rebel child, didn't like to follow the rules and kinda beat to my own drum.  I've seen the disappointment in my mama when I would tell her something stupid I had done but she never stopped loving me.  She's always been there for me even though she didn't  like my choices and probably thought how stupid I was.  She was there when I was a young widow with a 18 month old son, she was there when I lost a job and needed a place to stay, she was there when I broke both arms and an ankle but most importantly she was there when I needed words of comfort.  Words that only a mama knows what to say.  Not just any mama, but MY mama.  My mama who makes everyone that visits feel like family.  My mama that would want ya'll to come "sit a spell" and stay and eat.  Yep, I can promise you there's food on the table if it's Sunday and if it's  not Sunday she'll have something she can fix in a flash.  Not a can of something like you would get at my house.  It will be the real thing. 

My lesson today?  Gosh I don't have a clue, so I will just leave you with this.  This post is about MY mama. MY mama that holds the clouds, the lady of OUR house and MY mama that wants us all to be friends.  My prayer today is you feel the same way about YOUR mama and that some of these words of craziness makes you want to call your mama, or more importantly go see her.   If she's not here with you on this Mother's Day, and you can't call her or visit, I pray you have "precious memories. " Precious memories in the stillness of the midnight that will take you back to your childhood, precious memories that will forever flood your soul.




Love to all...
Sweet Southern Sass

No comments:

Post a Comment